In this episode of Belonging, Sarah Durham Wilson (aka The Mother Spirit) joins me to talk about moving for the archetype of Maiden to Mother. We get stuck in idealizing the Maiden as a result of many things—including the Patriarchy and beauty industrial complex—and many of us struggle to rise into the wisdom of the Mother archetype (which doesn't necessarily mean literally having children).
Sarah's work is to heal the Maiden wound so that womxn can rise into a healthy Mother archetype. Together we talk about that Maiden-to-Mother journey, the unhealthy traits of each archetype, what it means to be "unmothered," healing the unworthiness wound, and dancing with the fear of dying.
"It's a source of confidence to have met yourself. Most women are so focused on the outside—because they've been groomed to be that way—that they have atrophied inner beauty. There's an emptiness inside of them." -Sarah Durham Wilson
- I just got back from a weekend doing ancestral constellation work with Grandmother Sarah Bicknell who I interviewed in Belonging Episode #26: Ancestral Constellations & Conscious Dreaming with Grandmother Sarah
- Sarah mentioned The Big Leap by Gay Hendricks as a resource that helped deepen her understanding of the maiden to mother work
- "The Mother Money Call" on Threshold Podcast
- Women Who Run with the Wolves by Dr. Clarissa Pinkola Estés has a concept of "the mistaken zygote" which reminds me of this mothering work
- Warming the Stone Child: Myths & Stories about Abandonment and the Unmothered Child by Dr. Clarissa Pinkola Estés
- Bethany Webster's Mother Wound work
- Come of Age by Stephen Jenkinson
- Die Wise by Stephen Jenkinson
- A Year to Live by Stephen Levine
More from Sarah Durham Wilson:
What is your relationship with your inner maiden and mother?
Share in the comments below!
Credit for the phrase "be a good ancestor" goes to Arianna of Quw'utsun' Made
Join our community of curiousand brave-hearted women and femmes + weekly-ish wisdom to your inbox
Say yes, even if you're worried you won't fit in. I'll send you weekly-ish emails about our longing to belong, living with the seasons, and connecting with ancestors to enjoy with your morning warm beverage.