I’ve had many questions and curiosities about my book, the book writing process, and how I got my book published, so this episode of the Belonging podcast is the full story of what went into the creation and publication of Root & Ritual.
I share when I first felt the calling to write a book, being in integrity with the why of writing a book (and not just because I wanted to feel successful and important), the lineage healing story that went into writing a book, finding a book agent, writing (and re-writing) a book proposal, pitching the book and getting rejected, writing a book while pregnant, what no one talks about: getting help to write a book, my actual writing process, and the tools I used to write.
“Know that every time you pick up a book and there’s an author’s name, there are so many other hands that go into creating it.”
- Root & Ritual: Timeless Ways to Connect with Land, Lineage, Community, and the Self
- I mentioned my friend, Jenni Heffernan Brown (also on episode #13 of the Belonging podcast) who helped keep me accountable while I wrote my book proposal
- Big Friendship by Aminatou Sow and Ann Friedman
- I called in my doula for my book: Azalea Moen
- My book editor: Noël Ruth
- Marco Polo
- Break the Good Girl Myth by Majo Molfino
- I wrote using the Pomodoro method (I used Tomato Timer to keep track)
- I did some virtual co-working with Cave Day to write my book
- Amy Grimes illustrated my book