In this tender episode of Belonging, I'm sharing the story of the birth of my daughter, Atlas. To help me piece together all that happened (because parts are already beginning to fade and other parts exist for me outside of time and space), my dear friend and new doula who was with me through the whole process, Nisha Moodley, joined me to guide us through the conversation.
Together, we weave the story of what happened over the course of my 48+ hour labor — sharing moments of celebration, moments of grief and fear, and moments that happened outside of my awareness. As I share with Nisha, it's helpful to be witnessed in my own processing of this birth experience. It's something I'll be processing forever and a story I will want to tell again and again.
"There's something so sweet about how the whole neighborhood is asleep, but here's this birthing Becca finding her way in the dark of the night." - Nisha Moodley
- Belonging Episode #36: Creating Nourishing Community with Nisha Moodley
- A rebozo is a long, shawl-like garment traditionally worn by women in Mexico for many different purposes — one of which can be to provide comfort and support for pregnant bellies
- Spiritual Midwifery by Ina May Gaskin
- Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by Ina May Gaskin
- Call the Midwife
- Belonging Episode #26: Ancestral Constellations & Conscious Dreaming with Grandmother Sarah
- Daniella Noguera of Nurture to Flourish is my postpartum doula
- Meal Train is key for postpartum care
More from Nisha:
Join our community of curiousand brave-hearted women and femmes + weekly-ish wisdom to your inbox
Say yes, even if you're worried you won't fit in. I'll send you weekly-ish emails about our longing to belong, living with the seasons, and connecting with ancestors to enjoy with your morning warm beverage.