Asia Suler joins me in this episode of the Belonging Podcast. Asia is a writer, teacher, mystic, and herbalist who lives in the folds of the Blue ridge mountains. She is the creator and concoctress of One Willow Apothecaries, an Appalachian-grown company that offers lovingly handcrafted medicines and alchemical gateways of education. Her classes are a unique combination of western and energetic herbalism, stone medicine, earth-centered shamanism, and intuitive healing.
I first found Asia on Instagram and as I've been doing pilgrimage over the last several years, so has she. I really love her perspective on the more-than-human world, how we can connect to the earth, and how it shows us our inherent goodness. In this episode, she shares how, like me, she grew up in suburbia, but then had a health crisis that took her to the wild. Asia gives us ideas on how to get started in building our relationship with the wild. We talk about reciprocity and animism, and what to do if you feel silly or judged in your communion with the earth.
"I really started to feel that it wasn't just me in my own little self-reflective bubble, but that I was really being reached out to by the natural world." -Asia Suler
- Belonging Episode #34: Another Way of Knowing with Sylvia Linsteadt
- I mention by herbalism teacher, Liz Migliorelli
- Asia mentions the Chestnut School of Herbal Medicine where she studied herbalism
- Belonging Episode #23: Moon Gardening with Erin Duffy Osswald
- I mention the Hopi prophecy: "When the women give their blood back to the earth, men will come home from war and earth shall find peace.”
More from Asia Suler:
- One Willow Apothecaries
- Online learning from Asia
- Asia Suler on YouTube
- @asiasuler on Instagram
- Asia Suler on Facebook
Join our community of curiousand brave-hearted womxn + weekly-ish wisdom to your inbox
Say yes, even if you're worreid you won't fit in. I'll send you weekly-ish emails about our longing to belong, living with the seasons, connecting with ancestors to enjoy with your morning warm beverage.