Amber Magnolia Hill is the woman behind Mythic Medicine and the Medicine Stories podcast — a podcast for those who yearn for knowledge about herbalism, deepening ancestral connections, and remembering what it is to be human upon the earth. She helps folks drop the cultural lies, disconnection, and disempowerment, and remember that the old ways are in our bones. I first met Amber at the Spirit Weavers Gathering where she was teaching an herbal body oiling class. Her Medicine Stories Podcast has featured so many conversations that have really shifted my perspectives and given me a deeper understanding of being an ancestral being and a being on this earth.
I invited Amber on the Belonging podcast, knowing I would release this conversation while I am in the tender moments of being postpartum with my new baby. Amber has had so much to say about mothering and how mothers are not supported in our society. We talk about the desire to re-village, slowing down in these times and finding our way to a parasympathetic state, ancestral connection in motherhood, expressing and interacting with folks who are grieving, and the Grandmother Hypothesis.
"As women especially, we're so indoctrinated to think that we're doing something wrong when things are wrong." -Amber Magnolia Hill
- I first met Amber at the Spirit Weavers Gathering
- I mention the book I'm reading Maternity: Coming Face to Face with Your Own Shadow by Laura Gutman
- The Fourth Trimester: A Postpartum Guide to Healing Your Body, Balancing Your Emotions, and Restoring Your Vitality by Kimberly Ann Johnson
- I mention Amber's solo episode on her podcast about mothering: Mythic Stories Episode #11 — Without a Village: Isolation, Honesty, and the Paradoxes of Modern Motherhood
- Amber mentions Mythic Stories Episode #61 — Revillaging: Maternal, Cultural, and Planetary Wellness are One with Rachelle Garcia Seliga
- Untamed by Glennon Doyle
- Amber mentions Glennon Doyle's interview on Brené Brown's podcast
- Finding Meaning: The Sixth Stage of Grief by David Kessler
- Grief and Finding Meaning with David Kessler on Brené Brown's podcast, Unlocking Us
- The First Forty Days: The Essential Art of Nourishing the New Mother by Heng Ou, Amely Greeven, and Marisa Belger
More from Amber Magnolia Hill:
- Mythic Medicine
- Check out Amber's amazing medicines!
- Her St. John's Wort Herbal Body Oil is one of her most popular products
- Her Elderberry Elixer is incredible wellness support and is one of her most anticipated shop restocks
- Medicine Stories Podcast
- @mythicmedicine on Instagram
Join our community of curiousand brave-hearted women and femmes + weekly-ish wisdom to your inbox
Say yes, even if you're worried you won't fit in. I'll send you weekly-ish emails about our longing to belong, living with the seasons, and connecting with ancestors to enjoy with your morning warm beverage.