I try to avoid mayonnaise in my day to day diet but, sometimes (like on a really good BLT), mayo is necessary. Several years back, I discovered the magic of olive oil mayonnaise and, to my delight, I realized I could make it on my own - and infuse with herbal flavors! It has a rich and intense flavor that beats that canned stuff from the store. Below is a recipe for a basil-infused olive oil mayonnaise.
200 ml Olive Oil
3 Egg Yolks
Juice from 1 Lemon
1. With an electric blender or food processor, beat the 3 egg yolks together.
2. While the blender or food processor is still running, add the olive oil slowly to the beaten eggs. This part is important: make sure the eggs and oil form an emulsion.
3. Add the lemon juice and blend into the egg/oil mixture.
4. Add in the chopped basil, and blend.
5. Season with salt to taste.
(Because the mixture contains raw eggs, be sure to keep refrigerated and use within 3 days)
Join our community of curiousand brave-hearted women and femmes + weekly-ish wisdom to your inbox
Say yes, even if you're worried you won't fit in. I'll send you weekly-ish emails about our longing to belong, living with the seasons, and connecting with ancestors to enjoy with your morning warm beverage.